Sunday, September 30, 2012

iPads and 21st Century Learning

This week we experimented with our school's new iPads!  We had so much fun with our Grade 5 buddy class.  They showed us how to use the camera, video camera, Drawing Pad, and ToonTastic.  We created some funny photos, drawings and cartoons, including one of me in a larger than life pose. I hope that one was deleted soon after!

I will be sending home a permission form outlining some of the things that we will be doing in the class involving technology.  I am on the technology committee this year and it will definitely a big part of my teaching.  If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at any time.

I understand it may be a scary thing for some of you, but technology is becoming a more essential part of our learning and social lives.  I believe that if we do not accept technology in our schools many children will continue to slip through the cracks.  Recently, I found this video and it hit me that schools are using teaching strategies that are not reaching our students. This video is a few years old and American, but the message is clear. Children are not being engaged in their learning at school.  Technology can help students to develop skills like critical thinking, creativity, and collaboration. Kindergarten isn't too early to experiment with technology! How can we afford not to try?

No comments:

Post a Comment